Along with some seriously hot days, summer usually means our normal routines are thrown out the window. However, it’s important to maintain some semblance of balance during this season, otherwise you may find yourself in a wellness rut by the time Fall rolls in.
Here are 7 wellness tips to keep on your wellness track this summer.
- EAT LIGHT – No one wants to bogged down by heavy food when it’s hot outside. Keep your meals most plant-based, follow my 80-10-10 rule 80% of the time, and you’ll have all the energy your need to truly LIVE LIFE this summer.
- EXPLORE – Summer is a great time to explore the outdoors. Go for a hike, take a dip in a river, chill out at a remote beach, or take a walk in the countryside. Whatever you do, take some time out in nature. And, if you’re feeling adventurous, take a moment to dig your toes in the dirt or sand and ground yourself, absorbing all the good, healing energy of Mother Nature.
- MEDITATE – Summer may be a time you get to go on vacation, and guess what… this may be a perfect time to actually begin a meditation practice. When you’ve slowed down during vacation and have taken some time away from your regular responsibilities, find a moment to sit down close your eyes and focus on your breath. Start with even just five minutes. Concentrate on releasing stress from your body with every exhale, and inhale peace and calm. Before you know it you’ll be up to 20 minutes, and you may even carry the practice into your everyday life.
- REST – Yep, it’s easy to sleep less and socialize more when the weather is this steamy. But, remember that sleep is an important aspect of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Schedule in seven to eight hours of sleep every night, and even take a short nap during the day, if you can.
- EXERCISE – It’s easy to skip workouts when it’s so hot outside. But, squeeze exercise in during the early morning hours (I like to get my workouts done before 7am to beat the heat) or late evenings to avoid the hot sun. Grab a friend and go on a walk! By the time summer ends and the year is coming to a close, you’ll be happy you stuck to your exercise regimen.
- HYDRATE – Water, water and more water… Drink at least half your body weight of water per day, plus an additional eight ounces if you’re working out. Fresh coconut water is also great to combat dehydration this summer. Coconut water will help restore the minerals and electrolytes your body loses during hot, sweaty summer days.
- PROTECT YOUR SKIN – Wearing sunscreen is a must. Try out a natural version to stay away from the harmful hormone disrupting toxins in regular sunscreens. Coconut oil, by the way, is a great, all-natural sunscreen